One by One
- One by one the sands are flowing,
- One by one the moments fall;
- Some are coming, some are going,
Do not strive to grasp them all.
- One by one thy duties wait thee,
- Let the whole strength go to each,
- Let not future dreams elate thee,
Learn thou first what these can teach.
- One by one (bright gifts from Heaven,)
- Joys are sent thee here below;
- Take them readily when given,
Ready, too, to let them go.
- One by one thy griefs shall meet thee,
- Do not fear an armed band;
- One will fade as others greet thee,
Shadows passing through the land.
- Do not look at life’s long sorrow;
- See how small each movement’s pain;
- God will help thee for to-morrow:
Every day begin again.
- Every hour that fleets so slowly,
- Has its task to do or bear;
- Luminous the crown, and holy,
If thou set each gem with care.
- Do not linger with regretting,
- Or for passion hours despond;
- Nor, the daily toil forgetting,
Look too eagerly beyond.
- Hours are golden links, God’s token,
- Reaching Heaven; but one by one,
- Take them lest the chain be broken
- Ere the pilgrimage be done.